Pages

Troy Polamalu's Highest Insured Hair

Troy Polamalu: two-time Super Bowl winner, five-time Pro Bowl selection, and one of the best defenders in the National Football League.

Now, the Pittsburgh Steelers safety can add one more notch to his belt: owner of the Guinness World Records mark for the highest insured hair at $1 million (£622,713).
The nearly 3-foot-long locks were insured at Lloyd's of London by Procter and Gamble shampoo brand Head & Shoulders on 30 August 2010. Polamalu has not cut his hair since 2000 as a tribute to his Samoan ancestors and has served as a Head & Shoulders spokesman for two years.

I had a chance to sit down with Troy for a minute after presenting him with a certificate for his achievement. Also, be sure to check out videos below of my presenting Troy with his newest recognition and the commercial that is making his million-dollar head of hair famous.

How does it feel to be recognized by Guinness World Records for your highest insured hair? It’s a pretty unique record and it’s all yours to have.
You’re right, it’s a tremendous honor. People have won Super Bowls before and people have been to Pro Bowls and been All-Pro before but to be the one and only is a very special and unique feeling.

Did you ever think that the hair growing from your head would get you recognition?
Absolutely not. You know, what’s happened in my life is extremely unreal to me.
So you’ve won two Super Bowls, you’ve been to the Pro Bowl five times. What’s the plan for your GWR certificate?Honestly, I don’t know. I think if you walked into my house you wouldn’t see that I’m a football player at all, but it’s definitely going to go up somewhere special.
This puts you in a group with a lot of different people – David Beckham getting his legs insured, Keith Richards having his hands insured – how does it feel to be a part of that kind of group that you’re not normally associated with?
I never thought about it that way. I guess if you put all of our body parts together you’d have one expensive human being, that’s for sure!

You didn’t get your record in time to get into the 2011 Guinness World Records book, but you’ve had a chance to look through it, what are your thoughts?
I think I’d like to get my record next to the longest female beard, that’s pretty impressive. It’s really cool, I just opened up to this section [in the book] that I think I would go in with human beings and their hair and it’s pretty cool.

Here's a clip of Troy getting his Guinness World Records certificate:

           

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails