Pages

Coal Carrying World Record set by Batley Woman

THE Batley woman who won the Gawthorpe Coal Carrying Championships has broken the World Record. Catherine Foley, of White Lee Road, battled to victory in the time-honoured village tradition, carrying 20kgs of coal on her back in an uphill slog.

And Catherine, a physical training instructor for West Yorkshire Police, has smashed the world coal carrying record and will go into the Guinness Book of Records with her time of 4 minutes 45 seconds – on her first attempt at the race.

She said: "I fancied a different challenge and it's completely unique. A work colleague and a friend of mine's step-dad take part so I got involved through them."

Catherine, 27, was confident she could carry the weight of the coal after a few attempts training with a bag of gravel which was 5kgs heavier, but she found the hardest thing about the race was getting a handle on the bag.

She said: "The bag of coal was smaller than I thought it was going to be and it hung down my back quite a lot so I had to lean over more when I was running than I did in training.

"I was quite nervous before the race so I think I burned a lot of nervous energy. I got out in front from the start. I thought it was best to attack it from the beginning. I knew once I got to the top of the hill if I was in the lead I could pick up the pace for the finish.

"I was relieved to see the finish line and really happy I did it in my first go."

Not satisfied with her record-breaking in the coal race, Catherine is putting herself through a number of other challenges this year, including the Tough Guy in July, which will see her run 10kms followed by a two-mile assault course.

And in September she is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails